It’s a party for all HTC fanatics as EVO 4G enters the Jelly Bean banner along with HTC One X and One S. The Android 4.1 Jelly Bean custom ROM, MazVow EVO is available for download on EVO 4G devices, by the successful endeavors of XDA senior member, Mazwor. Jelly Bean integrates advanced voice recognition, voice typing and a smarter keyboard for the numerous fans looking forward to lay their hands on the OS that seems light years from other platforms. You can say good bye to the usual android spy and other mobile spy app nightmares, as the Jelly Bean with all its defenses (or at least most of them) is here. However, the custom Jelly Bean ROM for HTC EVO 4G is somewhat preliminary, so a few bugs and the need for more development is only understandable.
The ‘what if’s and the ‘but’s
According to the developer change log, the working features of the custom ROM for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean include most applications, WIFI and the Android system, while the ones not functional as of now are WIMAX (4G), Camera and FFC. It must also be made clear that the custom ROM along with the instructions here is meant only for HTC EVO 4G and applying the same on EVO 4G LTE for example can lead to a mess. Living in the virtual space, it is always preferable to back up whatever data you deem important, which holds true in this case so back up your information, including bookmarks, contacts, APNs, internet settings and SMS.
If you can’t wait to update the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on your HTC EVO 4G device, then here are a few instructions for the installation:
- Firstly, make sure ClockwkorkMod/AmonRa recovery is installed on to your device and bootloader is unlocked with S-Off
- Go to the official development webpage and download the latest version of Jelly Bean ROM
- Download Google apps package
- The two downloads, appearing as zip files, must be copied to the root folder of the SD card on the device
- The step that follows can be a bit tricky for the ones doing it for the first time; you need to boot the device in to recovery. It can be done simply by first switching off the phone, then pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons till the device boots to HBOOT or recovery. If it’s the former select RECOVERY once the main menu appears, the volume buttons can be used to scroll while the power button for selection.
- It could really help at this point to perform a Backup of the existing ROM, in case you need to restore it from recovery later on.
- You can tap factory reset or wipe data next, selecting YES for the confirmation and then waiting for the process to complete.
- After the data wiping process is complete, select Mounts and Storage, then the format system and confirm on the next screen, in the end return to the main menu.
- Now simply select the zip file you downloaded and saved on the SD card earlier on. Once located, confirm for the installation and the process will begin shortly.
- Once the ROM is installed follow the same process for Google apps package, to have it installed.
- Now, go back to the main menu and select reboot, to load your glittering new Jelly Bean. The first boot into MazVow-Evo ROM can take up to 5 minutes. Similarly, in the unfortunate occurrence of a problem, you can boot into recovery, select backup and restore, select the ROM you want to restore from the list and voila! You’re back to square one.