Way back before iOS 4.2 there was a really great feature that subscribers to Apple’s MobileMe service enjoyed. As part of the service you could locate your lost iPhone by having it show up on a map from within MobileMe. Things have changed and here is how you can now use this great service to not only find a lost iPad, but for free.
Find My iPad For Free
As long as you are running iOS 4.2 on your iPad then you can now enjoy the benefit of finding your lost device for free. And we are going to show you how to do it.
Once you download and launch the Find My iPad app, you can sign in to locate your missing iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch on a map and have it display a message or play a sound. You can even remotely lock the device, or wipe it to permanently delete all of your data if you think that it won’t be returned.
Note: For added security, the app will automatically sign you out after 15 minutes or you can manually sign out at any time.
• Locate your iPhone or iPad on a map
• Display a message and optionally play a sound for two minutes at full volume (even if your device is set to silent)
• Remotely set a passcode lock on your device, or lock it using your existing passcode
• Remotely wipe your device to permanently erase all of your personal data
How To Setup Find My iPad
Please note that you must first set up and turn on Find My iPhone on each device you want to locate. Here are the steps to get Find My iPad working.
- Tap the Settings icon and choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap the Add Account button and select MobileMe.
- Enter your Apple ID and password. If you have an iTunes Store account or have ordered from the Apple Online Store, you already have an Apple ID. If you don’t have an Apple ID, tap Create Free Apple ID and follow the onscreen instructions. If you’re already a MobileMe subscriber, enter your me.com or mac.com email address and password.
- Verify your account. If your MobileMe account says “Not Verified,” check your email inbox for a message from Apple. Click Verify Now and sign in with your Apple ID. If you don’t see a verification email in your inbox, select your MobileMe account and tap Resend Verification Email.
- Return to the MobileMe screen and switch on Find My iPad. When the Find My iPad message appears, tap Allow.
- Sign in to me.com from a computer to see your iPad on a map, display a message, or set a passcode lock.
Once you have done the following steps, you can get the Find My iPhone app which will also work on your iPad. You do not need the app for the Find My iPad service to work but it is added convenience if you choose to use it. The app is free and can be downloaded by clicking here.
That is how to setup and use the new Find My iPad feature in iOS 4.2. It should go without saying that this will only work on iPad’s that can be located that have their location services turned on. And if your iPad does not have the 3G service turned on and there is no WiFi then it would not be able to be located.