It’s no secret. A lot of us will be getting new iPad’s soon. Regardless of all the iPad 2 news and rumors, we know for sure that there is a newer version of the current iPad on its way. And with that, you may be getting one and wondering how to prepare for it. Here are the things you need to do in order to get prepared for your new iPad.
How To Prepare For Your New iPad
Getting a new computer or tablet or phone means that you will want to do a few things. The first thing will want to do is make sure all of your information is transferred from your old device to your new one and then you will most likely want to make sure the old device is cleared off in case you want to sell it for cash or give it to a family friend who has been hinting at needing one. Here is how to prepare for your new iPad.
Step 1: Back Up Your Current iPad
Ok. Before you go get in line for the new iPad (or click on the “buy” button) you should make sure everything is backed up. This way, when you do bring home that awesome new iPad, you are ready to go. Here is how to backup your current iPad.
- Make sure you sync with iTunes. This automatically creates a backup of your iPad settings, apps data, and other information.
- Backups DO NOT include synced items such as songs and videos from your iTunes library. Backups also do not include information such as contacts and calendar items from your computer.
If you have information that you have added on your iPad since your last backup, then you will want to make sure you sync to iTunes and also make sure you have ticked the correct check boxes such as ‘Contacts’ and ‘Calendars’ in order to get that information on your computer and ready for syncing to your new iPad.
Once you have done a sync and have verified that any changes to your iPad are on your computer (such as contacts) then you should be ready for your new device.
Here is where you can learn more about backing up and restoring your iPad.
Step 2: Clearing Out Your Old iPad
You will want to clear out all of the information and apps from your current (old) iPad if you plan to either give it away or sell it. The best way to do that is to restore it back to the original settings and erase all your information is to do one of two things:
- Plug it into iTunes on your computer and tap on the iPad icon on the far left. Then tap on “Restore” on the Summary tab
- On the iPad, tap on Settings, then General, then Reset and choose to “Erase All Content….”
Once you do one of these two steps, your old iPad is ready to sell or give away. Here’s an article to help you sell your old iPad for cash.
Step 3: Sync Your New iPad
You are now ready to sync your new iPad with iTunes. Just plug it in and it will begin the sync process. Don’t forget to make sure you have checked all of the boxes in iTunes so that it syncs your music, contacts, calendar, videos, apps, etc.
If you wanted all your settings back and saved game data, etc. Then you can also restore your new iPad from a backup of your previous iPad. To restore from a backup, do the following:
- Connect your (new) iPad to the computer with the backup stored on it
- In iTunes, do a Control-click on the iPad icon in the sidebar and then choose “Restore from Backup” from the menu that appears
- Choose the backup that you want to restore from and then click “Restore”
Now you are ready to use your new iPad with all your previous settings, apps, and information. Your old iPad should be ready for sale or to give away and you can now enjoy the new one.